MKT: when will the fuse be lit?

Hello everyone,

For the past month I've been reading a lot of articles  that say things
like the fed or analysts are hopeing the market will rise and fear that
it may go down. The articles are from Investors Business Daily
newspaper.

Today is another good example of what I'm talking about, "Russia won't
be able to pay the more than $20 billion owed on foreign debts due this
year and next, its government said for the first time."

Page B15 Tuesday 11/5/98," Late in the session, the Federal Reserve
released its much-awaited beige book----a regional outlook of business
conditions in the US.  The news was not rosy.  Manufacturing is slowing,
and retail business is lagging.  That sort of news works against the
dollar.  It implies the Fed will be more likely to cut rates."

And its to believe that credit card defaults will rise in Oct. Source
Cnnfn.

A couple of months ago with minor news like this the market would have
dropped 200-300 points, now it just keeps moving up.

Does anyone who has been in this kind of market know what will be the
last straw?  Or does anyone know what the change of heart was in 1929
and 1987?

Thanks,
Joe Frabosilio