Re: volume, open interest, divergences

Steve...
Like your post! You won't find any divergence in what I'm saying :-P

I've put in a hugh amount of "man-hours-years" testing(mostly stocks,
short term) to look at the validity of volume and divergences in
mechanical systems. IMHO, back testing using out of sample and
walk-forward data has no equal in quantifying an indicator or idea. We
can all point out individual instances that worked flawlessly but what
are the odds it will work the next time? If I've tested it thoroughly
and the idea works 70% of the time I have something to go on. Isn't
everybody a system trader anyway? Don't discrectionary traders have all
the rules in their heads and know how often something works?

On volume... as far as tests I've done, I've only seen insignificant
help on win% and returns with the adverse affect of lessening the
robustness of a simple system. The way volume is affected by the
different players how can I tell who's behind the push? Unless I ignore
volume and just look at price.

For divergence, using RSI and other momentum indicators vs price,
testing showed absolutely no help, in fact I found more situations where
the divergence worked to indicate the continuation of the move rather
than a reversal. I've seen many examples of divergences on a chart that
looked beautiful but checking it on hundreds of issues over many years
it looks like the odds go way down.

It seems that the longer I've done this the more I rely on just price
and all the rest is a distraction.

If anyone is interested, I base my testing process mostly on what I've
read in 2 books:
Design, Testing and Optimization of Trading Systems by Robert Pardo and
Smarter trading by Perry Kaufman
Just in cast... I don't have any connection with these authors, have
just benefited from their advice.

Best... John