Re: [Fwd: Cramer's Rewrite of His Watch the Bond Market Column]

>From my European perspective, I would also add that Europe is sitting in a
similar situation, only that we have:
- capital markets that are far less developped, ie even less liquid (with
corporations relying much more on banks),
- the Euro that is going live shortly in addition
So far, trust in the Euro is still there, but central bankers are dead worried
that creating too much liquidity short term would kill the Euro before it got
even a chance to fly. Hence no great chances of rate cuts before february  20th,
when first reports will be available for the ECB meeting.
- a severe pension funding problem:
In 1980 in Germany there were 10 active people financing 1 retiree.
Today it is 4 to 1
In 2010 it will be 2 to 1
It is similar in many other European countries
- a totally inexperienced and naive governement at the helm in Germany, Europes
most powerful country.

In terms of the current mood, top bankers in Europe are truly tense at the
moment concerning the bond market situation worldwide, adopting language I never
heard before except while reading the 1929 stories.

In terms of most likely outcome to all this, the trend seems to be towards
printing money in Japan and making short term liquidities more available
everywhere else in the westernworld, although not before early 1999 in Europe.

In terms of fixed income markets, they will stabilize / mature in the US
(following extremely fast growth), and in Europe those will develop / emerge
much more in terms of products (asset securitizations everywhere), and also as
corporations need faster access to financing and can no longer rely on expensive
banks that can go belly up (more high yield financing).

In terms of equities, lower rates and huge pension funding needs most likely
mean a strong and long bull market in European equities for the next decade at
least, once the dust settles and what needed to be written down has been so.

Just a view from the other side of the big pond...

Gwenn