Broker's bankrupcy

Hello All,

Taking issue on the LFG thread, there is the theoretical side, and the practical
side to dealing with the rumor:

Theoretically, the rumor mill, and the unfounded scares are indeed an annoying
thing, in particular for the firm involved. I can understand some taking issue
with this.

On the practical side of things, I know what it is to have one's life savings
stuck in an account of a leading, reputed and solid 200 years old brokerage firm
that went belly up overnight through fraudulent action of its officers. Money was
in segregated accounts, and in cash, but it still took two years of lawsuits to
get it gack, and during most of that time, prospects were really dim. We are
talking here of a 100% drawdown. Yes it was not prudent to have all assets at one
firm, no we don't do this anymore, but it is that the small initial account had
grown steadily over the years, and this firm was as established as one could be.

So what?

In trading, one spends endless hours, months, years, to figure out trading
systems, entries, money management, psychology and the rest, but nothing can work
if your money is no longer yours, so if I smell fumes, I am the hell out of there.
That is called a stop loss.... Sorry for the firm, but I just can't afford the
downside.
Just as trading is not about being right, but about being with the flow, keeping
the account, is not about being right, it is about staying alive, and being able
to trade again.

This is my view, but of course, you may do as you please, not my problem.

Best to all of you

Gwenn