</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#dc8b29>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Conf-Cookie:908414613-9514-1</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
</x-html>From ???@??? Wed Oct 14 14:18:19 1998
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 14:11:37 -0700
Sender: owner-realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Szilassy" <szilassy@xxxxxxx>
To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: AXP short - advice

<x-html><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Ketayun, I agree with Earl.&nbsp; Sounds like
you lack any form of serious risk management strategy, which will kill you
quicker than you can say &quot;John Jacob
Jingelheimerschmidt&quot;.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>My personal suggestion based on my experience is to take time
off to review your situation in some detail.&nbsp; Read as much as you can on
the subject of risk management but despite all that's been written on the
subject, it boils down to this - no trade should be made without a known target
upside and stop-loss level BEFORE initial order entry.&nbsp; You must know how
much of a loss your trading account can withstand on any one trade and, based on
recent support/resistance and any number of your chosen technical indicators, to
what level the price can REASONABLY be expected to ascend.&nbsp; Stick to these
religiously.&nbsp;&nbsp; From a psychological standpoint a big loss is
devastating, while many small ones are manageable.&nbsp; Also, you clearly need
a detailed business plan for trading - this should include what average upside
and downside you strive for - and keep a detailed journal of your trades,
reasons for entry and exit, lessons learned, etc.&nbsp; This investment in time
is the only means for your efforts to bear fruit.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>I know this because I made a similar mistake and am currently
long XCIT from 42.&nbsp; The profit opportunities which have evaporated as I
held the position have been staggering - even in XCIT itself!&nbsp; Misery does
not love company in this case though - I am taking steps to make sure this
experience is not repeated.&nbsp; I have taken a respite from watching the quote
screen this week and am spending nearly all my time at the local library, poring
over all my materials and thinking through my strategic direction.&nbsp; My
confidence level has made consistent progress as my knowledge base expands and
my system evolves in breadth and depth.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>So Ketayun, as far as your specific AXP position, only you can
decide if you are willing to assume additional risk.&nbsp; Aside from waiting or
closing the position now there is of course a third option you may not have
considered - hedging.&nbsp; Among others, you can buy a call with your desired
expiration date and a strike price at a level slightly above the existing
price.&nbsp; Your loss is then limited to the difference between your entry
price and the option's exercise price.&nbsp; If the price goes your way, the
option will expire worthless and you can cover on more favorable terms.&nbsp; If
it doesn't, you have set a predetermined downside risk rather than leaving your
situation up to chance.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Such lessons are always costly at the outset, but it's a part
of tuition.&nbsp; You can either continue to pay with your own money OR you can
hit the books, fill a notebook or two, and define your strategy precisely - the
choice is yours.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Best regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Paul Szilassy</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2><B></B></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><B>-----Original Message-----</B><BR><B>From:
</B>Earl Adamy &lt;<A
href="mailto:eadamy@xxxxxxxxxx";>eadamy@xxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><B>To:
</B>RealTraders Discussion Group &lt;<A
href="mailto:realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><B>Date:
</B>Wednesday, October 14, 1998 1:24 PM<BR><B>Subject: </B>Re: any
thoughts?<BR><BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE
style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"></FONT>
    <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>I suggest that if you didn't go into the
    trade with both a stop loss point and a minimum profit objective, that you
    should not be in the trade. Those decisions should never been made while in
    a losing trade - might be a good idea to get out and figure out what your
    objectives are.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=2>Earl</FONT></DIV>
        Message-----</B><BR><B>From: </B>Ketayun &lt;<A
        href="mailto:ketayun@xxxxxxxxxxx";>ketayun@xxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><B>To:
        </B>RealTraders Discussion Group &lt;<A
        href="mailto:realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><B>Date:
        </B>Wednesday, October 14, 1998 8:58 AM<BR><B>Subject: </B>any
        thoughts?<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>I am stupidly short AXP at 73 3/4, any
        thoughts if I should abort and at what price?
        <P>TIA
        <P>Ketayun </P></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
</x-html>From ???@??? Thu Oct 15 07:09:01 1998