FX Market Update

<x-html><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>FX MARKET DAILY UPDATE</DIV>
<DIV><BR>EUROPE:<BR>Consolidation continues for the US Dollar against European
currencies amid reports that the European central banks have been buying
Dollar/Dem at 1.6250.&nbsp;&nbsp; News that the U.S. Judiciary Committee last
night voted to open the impeachment inquiry caused it to hit a 20-month low and
the Dlr/Swiss to hit a 21-month low.&nbsp; However, it is expected to edge
higher as Asian and especially European bourses have been rallying this
morning.&nbsp; The London<BR>FTSE is up about 3.6%&nbsp; while the German and
French bourses are up above 5.0% so far.&nbsp; The Bank of&nbsp; Spain cut its
key rates by 50 bps, more than market expectations.&nbsp;&nbsp; The rate cut had
little&nbsp; impact on&nbsp; Dem/Esp .&nbsp;&nbsp; In Germany, the Pan German
September unemployment fell a seasonally adjusted 41K month/month, a result of
job creation schemes.&nbsp;&nbsp; Its August manufacturing orders rose 0.5% M/M
against a revised 0.8% in July from a previously reported 1.0%.
Sterling/Dollar&nbsp; is buoyed still by its interest rates even though some
market analysts are expecting a rate cut as soon as this Thursday when the MPC
(Monetary Policy Committee) meets to decide its monetary stance.<BR>Average
earnings for&nbsp; May and June were revised higher to 5.2% and 5.0%
respectively up from 5.0% and 4.7% due to an overall package of revisions by the
Office of&nbsp; National Statistics.<BR><BR>ASIA:<BR>Talk of a new stimulus
package in Japan by the Ministry of&nbsp; Finance enabled Yen to gain against
the US Dollar.&nbsp; The Nikkei managed to close above the critical 13,000.00
level. The Indonesian rupiah is showing signs of gaining investor confidence as
it flirts with the 10,000.00 level.&nbsp;&nbsp; Its reform program begun in June
was based on achieving this target level by the fourth quarter of 1998 in
conjunction with the IMF's funding of a quarter billion dollars. Rumors of
currency controls, Malaysian-style are still rife in the markets.&nbsp; Its
inflation for September was 3.75%,&nbsp; the lowest monthly rate since January
and down from 6.30% in August.&nbsp;&nbsp; The September year-on-year rate came
in at 82.40% versus the IMF 1998 target of 80 % .<BR><BR>NORTH AMERICA:<BR>Both
the Canadian dollar and Mexican peso have seen good buying interest against the
US dollar due to the cautious surge in the Dow.&nbsp;&nbsp; Expectation that the
Fed would cut rates in November should cap the recent lows seen in these two
currencies, unless Japan cannot get its economic house in order in the next 6 to
9 months.<BR></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Richard Chehovin</DIV></BODY></HTML>
</x-html>From ???@??? Tue Oct 06 11:41:25 1998