Re: Long Term Capital Management

Sorry, I just don't get it...

When the stock market drops, everybody holding the stock issued by the
company loses. There are no winners. The ones who 'sold at the top'
don't win, they just avoid losing.

Same thing with bonds issued by the Italian government.

The hedge between Italian bonds and US treasuries is more complicated.
The Treasury short does require a counterparty, so for that PART of the
trade there is a 'winner'. Hopwever, since it is only part of the trade,
LTCM could have been the winner on that part of the trade, and still be
a net loser on the arbitrage.

Regards
Dan Goncharoff