Shorting Stocks

RTs,

How does shorting stocks really works? I have sometimes placed orders to short certain
stocks and my broker returned to me that they were unavailable for borrowing.

Now, I've always thought that the brokerage was expected to borrow the stock from any
clearing company, whereas I suspect thay bound themselves in searching it by their
clearing corp. The reason I think so is that a friend shorted some issues (with Datek)
my broker told were "unavailable".

So, how does it really work?

Furthermore, I'd be pleased to know about Listmembers who have been able to short
realtively illiquid stocks with their brokers.

As always, thank you all for your contribution.

Alberto Torchio
 Torino, Italy