Whipsaw filter TS

Dear fellow traders,

I have been developing a trading system now for a long time. It uses
volatility and breakouts to enter and exit the market. Many trades are
profitable in many different markets. However, it tended to trade against
the trend giving a lot of loosing trades and in order to stop that I
incorporated a simple MA filter that makes the system only give sell orders
if the MA x days ago is higher that todays MA. This works fine, but in very
short ranging markets the system gets really whipsawed, especially on the
S&P. The enclosed JPG file clearly shows this. In a clear trend the signals
are good, but it gets totally whipsawed in other periods.
I know this is probably the most common problem for a system, but does
anyone have any good advice about indicators that can be used in limit the
number of whipsaw trades? I tried using ADX, however I found it to exclude
to many profitable trades. However, I used a simple ADX rule which I first
read in the old classic "Technical Analysis of the futures markets" by
Murphy (I think that was the title) where I programmed my system only to do
trades if the ADX was above a certain number. There may be other better
ways of using the ADX?

Any comments welcome.

Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\whipex.gif"

Best greetings,

Frode L. Aschim

Email: frode@xxxxxxxxxx

Thought of the day:
"I've never been poor, only broke. Being poor is a frame of mind. Being
broke is only a temporary situation." -Mike Todd, 1958From ???@??? Thu Sep 17 07:48:42 1998