Dial Data

Don Rea recently posted information about Dial Data, which was in response
to a query about Prophet Data.  While I've never used Dial Data for stocks,
my bad experience with their futures service, and their piss poor attitude
in general motivates me to warn traders to tread carefully before using Dial
Data.  Some highlights from the termination letter I sent them back in 1996:

Please cancel my subscription to your service.  No other company I've ever
dealt with has provided me with such consistently bad service:

1. When I first wrote to Dial/Data enquiring about your service I never
received a reply.

2. When I eventually got hold of your company, I was promised, but did not
receive a call from Eric Josephson to answer my queries.

3. Despite an explicit fax about what service I wanted, you enrolled me in
the wrong option.  I note you never refunded the overcharge.

4. I originally selected Dial/Data to avoid toll calls by using the
CompuServe Network, but this didn't work from New Zealand.  Repeated
communication with you and Omega Research failed to produce a script to
allow me to access the FALNET network used by CompuServe in New Zealand.  My
enquiry about whether your Downloader program would solve the problem was
ignored.

5. So I persevered with direct dialling the USA.  Frequently I connected to
CompuServe, but didn't get from there to Dial/Data.  Some of my phone bills
topped $100 because of the repeated redialling to get through.

6. Earlier this year your service became intolerable.  I became dependent on
free prices posted to the Internet to manually update my files when your
service was unavailable.

Paul Barnes