Re: trades, anyone?

> Kevin, I agree with the first part. I have a comment about your trade. It
> has been my experience that when extreme volatility happens, many of the
> probabilities go out the window. I usually decline to trade in these
> conditions now. Some of the guys like Ben seem to have a handle on trading
> in these conditions. I like markets that make sense.

I couldn't agree more; anything that raises reasonable doubt about typical
interpretations should give rise to real caution, and extreme volatility
is one such.

In the particular trade I described, I don't think I misread probabilities
though; I called the market direction correctly, and a huge move ensued.
My problem was timing and execution; I was late, and I didn't protect myself
from the risk of being late via a limit order.  That's the lesson I learned.

OKAY A NEW REALTRADE:

  I've been waiting for coffee to set up for me to go short with high
  confidence.  The coffee contract is BIG by my fiscal standards, and I
  love it and hate it for that reason.  It certainly causes me to be pretty
  careful about timing my entries, and quick about locking up profits when I
  have them.

  The breakdown bar from yesterday looked a heck of alot like a broad
  breakdown from the slightly uptrending range coffee's been in for the last
  12-15 sesssions or so.  I jumped on it, but this time I DID use a protective
  limit.  I put the limit sell at 108.25, to give a little room from last
  nights close (I want in!), but to protect me against a horrendous "at the
  bottom" fill.

  My logic overall; either the start of a broad downmove (30% chance?) which
  could score me big profits if I ride it, or a "shift down" in range, out of
  which I should get a smallish profit (which in coffee = 400-800) or a
  smaller loss at most (60% chance?), or it's just a short term (one, two day)
  downspike, in which case I'm risking between 800 and 1600 (10% chance?).

  When I checked after rising, I was in and the market was around 106.50.
  My fill was 108.50.  My finger twitched with the idea of taking small
  profits.  But I restrained myself.  To much chance of a continued slide.

  An hour and half later, I checked it again.  104+ zone, 1500 in profits.
  Ka-ching.  Cashed it in.  Turns out I exited within .25 of the low for
  the day.  Ahhhhh, lady be good.  Maybe I try it again soon if it shows
  signs of a broader, longer breakdown.  Meanwhile, my money's under the
  pillow.

  Comments, criticisms, other approaches to coffee right now?

-k