Re: Dow History

I can only quote from a source that I believe is accurate that being a
Chart created by Richard J. Stillman. "Charles Henry Dow(1851-1902) was a
founder of the Dow, Jones and Company in 1882. He created the Dow Jones
Industrial Average in 1896."

Dow published his first average on July 3, 1884(maybe the reason for the
confusion). Dow published his first list EXCLUSIVELY of industrials in the
spring of 1896. However, it did not appear as a regular feature in the Wall
Street Journal until October 2, 1896. General Electric is the only stock of
the original 12 companies used in the average to remain in the current list
of 30 companies.

Brent