GEN: Trendlines,longterm (was: O.J. reply from hawaii)

>Gary wrote:
<snip>
> LOOK at the "monthly" going back to 1990, notice anything?
> seriously, take a look, what jumps out and bites you in the butt?
> draw a line from the 1990 high down and across touching the 1996 high,
> naturally,
> continue that line.  where does that put the down trend line in mid/late
> 1998?
> around 117.
<snip>

I'm curious:  when you read analysts discussing markets occassionally
you do see them talking about monthly charts and trendlines on these.
And many times the chart looks very jagged like the monthly oj chart
does.

Have more experienced traders found very longterm trendlines to be
useful/meaningful?  The problem I am having is:  On the monthly, at
least in this case, do you really have an overall trend?  Yes, each high
was lower than the next but we are talking about individual freeze
scares, etc. In between the prices went very low and then back up, not
really a smooth trend down.

I can see weekly charts showing a longer term trend.  Up to now i've
viewed monthly charts as only something to get historical lows and highs
from or likely turning prices (by seeing where the peaks and vallies
stopped).  Trendlines on a monthly haven't got my attention.  Am I
omitting something I should be looking at?

								Conrad Bowers