Re: preserving profits

Another way is to purchase an option.

Now I know there was discussion on this forum a while back about using that
strategy instead of a stop. Now I don't think for a minute that a standard
strategy of using stops instead of options when you initally enter a trade
would result in overall profit, but what about purchasing one when your
trade reaches its profit goal? That way you could stay in the trade and
control risk.

Of course you have to watch implied volatility to be sure you're not being
ripped off for such insurance and you have to have some time horizon in
mind.

Look at it this way....Say an insurance salesperson comes to your office
and says, "Look pal, I see you have $1000 in open profit on that trade. For
an insurance premium  of $250 I'll insure you against any loss on the trade
and let you keep any additional  profits that come your way. That way you
won't have to put a stop in the market."

Sometimes that might make sense and sometimes it wouldn't.

-RB