Re: S&P 500 Index Cash Symbol (SPY)

I was wondering the same thing too.

But then I found out that each exchange calculates its own index.  Hence
the S&P500 is known as SPX at the CBOE, and INX at the NYSE.  The DOW 30
is DJX at the CBOE and I think INDU at NYSE.

So depending on which exchange you get your feed from, the symbols and
the numbers will differ.  Also, the symbols will differ slightly
depending on which vendor you use eg SP8U from BMI and SPU8 from
PCQUOTE.