Re: S&P 500 Index Cash Symbol (SPY)

Ariel, this information about Spiders is from Scientific Investment
Editor Stephen M. Berer.  I subscribe to the Chartist and this
information was in the Aug 1997 issue:
"Another variation on closed end funds are S&P Depository Receipts.
Abbreviated SPDR's, & called Spiders, these securities also trade
exactly like a stock.  Their symbol is SPY, & they trade on the American
Exchange.

Spiders provide a way of "buying" the S&P 500 index.  They are
engineered to almost mimic the movement of the S&P500, & their shares
are priced at 1/10 the index's value, that means they are currently
selling at around $90.00/share (my note: as of today, $109.25).

Spiders are extremely liquid.  That means you can buy very large
quantities of them without affecting the market.  This is not true of
most stocks & closed end funds.  Spiders have a number of advantages
too.  The annual management fee is an extremely low .18%.  By contrast,
most mutual funds charge 1% to 1.25%.

Also, Spiders can be bought all day long, unlike open end funds which
can only be bought at the day's closing NAV.  For active traders or
fine-tuned timing systems, this can more than compensate for commission
costs.

Finally Spiders can be sold short.  They can even be sold short on
down-ticks, unlike stocks.  That means that if the market is falling
sharply you can open a timely short position in Spiders, while you may
be forced to accept a delayed trade and more unfavorable prices to go
short in stocks."
----
Regards,

DS