Re: Psyche: Pulling Trigger; Part 2

Steve and group,

Greed or probably more accurately avarice is defined as: excessive or
insatiable desire for wealth or gain. I suspect that most traders bring a
desire for quick wealth with them when they start trading. Most of the
product vendors promise instant wealth. The fact is that many aspects of
trading are very attractive or most of us wouldn’t be here would we. A
respected man once said that to look to get wealthy trading is a mistake.
As with any business only a few will be that successful.

The psychological aspects of greed are the problem. Holding on to a trade
too long or not long enough is usually the result. Can your greed work for
you? By the definition probably not. As a desire to trade successfully
maybe so. Knowing when to hold ‘em and when to fold ‘em really is an art.
You can use many different types of guidelines such as Fibonacci extensions
to give you a target to shoot for. This type of control is probably the
best answer to greed.

Regards,
Brent

----------
> From: Steve80866@xxxxxxx
> To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Psyche: Pulling Trigger; Part 2
> Date: Wednesday, August 19, 1998 2:49 PM
>
> Realtraders,
>
> Having received positive feedback on my first offering on this subject I
have
> been thinking further.  I've also scanned the self-help books to see what
is
> being advised on the subject of fear.  Unfortunately, what I find in
these
> books frequently reflects our culture's desire to avoid troublesome
feelings.
> Often, the advice says that fear is an impediment and just root it out
and get
> rid of it.
>
> I don't believe it works this way.  Fear is a valuable indicator giving
> information that the trader needs.  Two years ago I paper traded an
optimized
> stochastic system for 4 months.  In those 4 months it accrued 200%
profits.
> But when it came time to trade it real time I was unable to pull the
trigger.
> Pop psychology would've had me pushing through the fear and doing it
anyway.
> But what I discovered under the fear was my lack of belief in the system.
 It