Re: Enter on Stops ?

Hi Simon,  I too wait for a conformation of a move starting whether that be
a retracement or trend change either way I will wait for one of a number of
patterns to set up before entering at the market.  I can see that entering
a breakout would require stops to enter but anything but market would be
too fussy for me.  If you have the time I would be interested to hear more
of how you get confirmation of a retracement and why a stop is the best way
in and indeed how you manage to keep what to me are very tight stoplosses.
(Perhaps you are trading of one/two minute charts?)  I  use a five minute
chart but sometimes go to a 3 minute if the volatility gets too high (based
on a 20 period xma of bar size/range).  Stops for me are usually 150/250
points. Less than that would be nice and cheap!!

regards

Philip

----------
> From: Simon Townshend <UKTrading@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Enter on Stops ?
> Date: 14 August 1998 19:28
>
> My strategy is also to trade retracements, but I look to enter in the
> direction of the trend once the retracement has proved it is a
retracement
> and not a trend reversal.  So by its very nature the strategy dictates
> entering on a stop.  It usually allows me to use pretty tight protective
> stops, usually less than 100pts from my entry, again because the market
is
> going my way by the time I am in.
>
> >From what you say it looks like if you had entered on either a stop in
the
> direction of the move or managed to get your limit filled you would have
> been OK.  The market order killed it for you, as is so often the case.
What