Re: Help understand statment.

Hi Pompatis,

I hope you don't mind but I posted the answer to
your question to the list as I had a  few along similar
lines.

I want to make clear I always place a stop on my
position once I initiate a trade no matter how unlikely
it is to get hit. I never know what the mkt may do.

e.g. the mean range for a 5 min bar on the USD/JPY
is 26 ticks. In one 5 min period on June 16th, the mkt
dropped 132 tics in 5 min!

I place the stop loss order at the same time as I place
the entry - I don't wait for a fill to do that:-

"If I am buying below the mkt, I must get a fill on my entry
before I can get stopped out; if I am buying above the mkt,
I place an "if done" order - I am telling my bank to place the
stop loss only when I am filled on my order. Reverse for shorts".

What I meant to convey is not that I don't use stops, but that
when I am trading well, I exit well before my stops are hit. My
stops are my insurance against the unexpected event; on the
expected events I exit when the mkt is playing a different tune.

To answer your question - if the mkt is too close to my stop, then
I let my stop take me out.  The last thing I want is to be in a position
inadvertently because I got out at mkt and was too late to cancel
the stop.  Otherwise, the answer to your question is "yes".

regards

ray

R Barros
101/25 Market Street