Re: Help understand statment.

Hi Brent

----------
> From: BrentinUtahsDixie <brente@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Gen: Help understand statment.
> Date: Thursday, August 06, 1998 2:07 PM
>
> RT's,
>

> Brent
>
> I'm of the opinion that there is actually a TRADING SECRET used by the
> best  traders in the world.  I think they all share a common....uncanny
>ability.   They  don't feel secure about there ability to complete
>winning trades.  They  don't  really know how to make money.
> Their ability is their superb ability to  NOT  LOSE money. ... (snip)

I partially agree with the good DR.  The difference between successful
traders and others is the ability not to lose. I disagree that this secret
lies in successfully calculating the risk reward of  a trade. There is a
world of difference between the two ideas.

When I put on a trade, I do so because I believe the odds are in my favour.
I know where I want to be out because, at that point, my interpretation
of the mkt's future price action is wrong; I have also planned my exits
if the market goes my way.

	But here is the point - all of the above matters.....

...........not a wit if the market does not do what my scenarios says it
should. At that point I exit the position as best I can. The POP said
it much better  - when you put on a trade assume a trade is
wrong and unless the  market proves the trade right, you exit.

Most traders take the opposite view - place the stop and let the mkt
prove the trade wrong.

Does early exit mean the market would not have stopped me out and have
gone my way? Yes.  Sometimes I do climb back on board though not at
so advantageous a price as the original entry; sometimes I just miss the
move.  The trade off to missing a move is you keep most losses very,
very small.

For me missing a move doesn't matter - my main concern is to protect my
capital. If I limit my losses, then I know it is only a matter of time
before I make my  profit target for the year.

regards

ray

R Barros
101/25 Market Street