Re: GEN: Book

<x-html><HTML>
I was in borders in downtown Chicago on Sunday and saw to my amazement
that Wiley had released ANOTHER edition.&nbsp; This one in a nice leather
bound form with gold leaf edging to the pages etc etc.&nbsp;&nbsp; Limited
edition with <I>only 1500</I> copies in circulation.&nbsp; (This one was
copy number 978 in case someone wants to add it to their collection.......duh....)&nbsp;
The cost $100.&nbsp; Yep $100.&nbsp; Literally right next to it was the
paperback for $15.&nbsp; Go figure eh?&nbsp; The sad thing is that if my
wife wasn't with me I might have bought it.....

<P>A few years ago I picked up a copy of H. Harrer's classic "7yrs in Tibet"
in London's book district near Covent Garden.&nbsp; A first edition in
good condition with color plates still in place.&nbsp; Cost.&nbsp; GBP5.00.&nbsp;
About $7.50.&nbsp;&nbsp; When on vacation in Hawaii a while back I picked
up a first edition (1946) of "Trader Vics Book of Food and Drink".&nbsp;
Yes, as in Trader Vic's the cocktail and fine grub (sorry, food) place.&nbsp;
Cost.... $12.&nbsp; In Tokyo I found at a flea market a little known but
mammouth book, "Lhasa and its Mysteries" by L. Austine Waddell.&nbsp; First
edition 1905, In good(ish) condition with two colour plates, numerous b&amp;w
plates, line drawings and fold-out maps.&nbsp; I am told that there probably
are not many other copies in 'circulation' and the appraiser also reckons
that the book probably belonged to either the author himself or someone
else in the British Govt in Tibet at the time because of a unique ink stamp
on the book (if anyone is interested I will explain in a direct email the
nature and significance).&nbsp; The book has gold leaf detail on the cover
as well as gold-leaf page edging.&nbsp; The cost for this gem: yen30,000
(about $300 at the time).

<P>So whats the point of this?&nbsp; How can Wiley justify charging $100
for a re-run of a well circulated book.&nbsp; I guess there are people
who are willing to pay the $$$.&nbsp; Which raises the question, just how
much would a first edition go for?&nbsp; I would rather buy the paperback
at the going price or fork out for a first edition.

<P>Irrationally exuberant,

<P>Essan Soobratty.
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>ps. Joe, I guess I didn't answer your question!&nbsp; Sorry, its been
a long day.
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>Joe Frabosilio wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Does anyone know what the difference is between Reminiscences
of a Stock
<BR>operator, edition 1980 and the 1994 edition?&nbsp; Reason why I ask
is that
<BR>there is a big difference in price between the two.

<P>1994 cost$45, 1980 cost $15.40 both hardcover.

<P>Thanks,
<BR>Joe Frabosilio</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;</HTML>
</x-html>From ???@??? Thu Jul 30 06:08:04 1998