Re: Why trade commodities

Umm, sorry. Someone DOES need shares of companies...namely the owners of
those companies. If the shares didn't exist, the companies wouldn't exist.
If the companies didn't exist, there wouldn't be all that much of an
economy and if you wanted wheat you'd have to grow it yourself.

But you're right that it's "best" to trade in things people need (or will
need). In fact, it's a requirement. If there's no need for something, there
wouldn't be a market to trade now would there?