Mark Douglas Interview Part I repost: Part II coming

RealTraders:

Mark is very meticulous about the answers his gives to interview questions.
So--it's taking longer than expected for Part II. But now, for your view
pleasure I have a repost of Part I of the interview.

Some of you have inquired as to how to contact Mark or order his new book.
Please refer to the contact info. contained with this post. Again--none of
us here at Kasanjian Research get any remuneration for talking him up. We
just think he's brilliant.

Eddie Kwong

RealTraders:

I was delighted to recently have the opportunity to conduct an  exclusive
interview with Mark Douglas. This post contains the  first part of the
interview. I highly recommend saving it for  future reference. I will repost
this again for newcomers.

Over the past few days, I've had the opportunity read Mark's  new work,
Trading in the Zone. As I read what he wrote, I could  not help be say to
myself: "Damn--he's right on target."

There are priceless insights contained in it that you simply  won't find
elsewhere because Mark is an original thinker.  No--make that an original
deep thinker. Unlike the content of  many trading psychology books of I've
read which are derived  from the current fads in pop psychology, Mark
acknowledges--quiet rightly---that trading is a pursuit that  requires an
entirely different mental strategy from all other  human endeavors. That is
why, he says, that many people who are  successful in other professions such
as medicine, engineering,  and business come to trading and fail miserably.
This rings  true in my own experience. In trading, positive thinking leads
to hope. Hope leads to sitting in a losing trade that you have  no business
being in. Mark's strategy is formulated from those  of the best traders in
the world as well as his own trading  experiences. Therefore, you want to
think like a winning  trader, read this book.

Amid the pile of book carcasses about trading psychology that  gather dust
on our coffee table, I'd like you to put this one  on top and refer to it
often.

You can get Mark's book by calling 312 938 1441 or you can  inquire about
ordering via email: mdoug927@xxxxxxxx I hope it  goes without saying that
neither I or Kasanjian Research gets  any remuneration for saying anything
of this. I just think Mark  is someone that is worth listening to.

Eddie Kwong

THE INTERVIEW, PART I:
(Note: Like any good coach, Mark does not pull his punches. If  you're
sitting there in the locker room during halftime and  losing, you need
someone to beat you up a little. Here is the 3rd repost of Part I of the
Mark Douglas Interview.

--EK)

Dear Mark,

I am a major fan of yours. I met you on your last visit to Bombay (you
autographed my book, if you remember!)Thanks for some major inputs for  my
trading through your book. I have benefitted tremendously from your
perspective on the market (which has, in turn, helped me attain mine).  One
thing keeps bothering me. I have turned myself into a very  successful
trader since the time I read your book (and I mean that  sincerely as 200+
other books on "methods" never really seemed to have  changed my fortunes in
the past several years! This is a question which  I addressed to the RT
forum too but somehow did not get a satisfactory  answer.  At what point of
time do you realise that you have gravitated  to being a  consummate (or is
that too severe a word for it ?) trader ? How can one  stop shaking off the
feeling that the streak is going to end. I do  realise that as long as I
keep doing the right thing the rewards should  keep coming. But one does get
this feeling of being on a run for too  long ? Or is there no such thing as
"too long" for a  professional trader  ? any thoughts ? Thanks a million, in
advance.

Dr.Narayan.
Mumbai, India.

Dear Dr. Narayan,

I normally wouldn't remember signing someone's book. But since  I signed
only three  books in all of India, I do remember you. I am also  really
pleased that you derived so much benefit from "The Disciplined Trader."

Now, to your questions of how can you shake off the feeling that your
winning streak is going to end and is there no such this as  "too long" for
a professional trader. First, I am sorry that you didn't get a  satisfactory
answer from me at the conference in Mumbai. I don't recall what I said
then, but maybe this will help. You can stay on your winning streak for  as
long as you believe it is possible. If there are no limits as to what you
believe is possible, then I would say that your streak can and will last
indefinitely. I would also say that if you had a strong tendency for
self-sabotage, it would have already surfaced by now. So enjoy your success.
One  suggestion for helping to sustain that success would be to have a
specific  purpose for all of the money you are accumulating.
----------------
I would like to hear anything about the tendency to defeat  ourselves when
we take a risk(so that we can say to ourselves; "told myself  so"). And or
learing to accept losses when we are already in a down turn.

Brent

Dear Brent

A persons tendency to defeat themselves comes from two major  sources. One,
a lack of the appropriate skills. Two, conflicting beliefs that  we may have
about winning. Conflicting beliefs about winning can come from  our
religious up-bringing, work ethic values, or a past of belittling
treatment, to name a few. Sometimes these conflicts are so powerful that we
find our  behavior -- that is, what we do -- is in direct conflict with what
we want.  Most traders do not  compensate for their potential for
self-sabotage,  either by actively doing something to reconcile the
conflicts or compensating for this potential in their trading style and as a
result, suffer the  consequences.

The second part of your question "learning to accept losses when we are
already in a down turn" is somewhat of a contradiction. The risk of any
particular trade is the dollar value of the distance the market  has to move
against our position to tell us  the trade isn't working. If  you are going
to trade effectively, the that risk has to be accepted in  advance of
putting on the trade. "Accepted" means, no conflicts about spending the
money to find out if the trade is going to work. The way you know if there's
no conflict is if you can think about taking the loss and doing so doesn't
resonate any emotional discomfort.

The primary way, as traders, to learn how to accept losses is  by learning
to "think in probabilities." If this is something you are interested in, I
would suggest you buy my second book "Trading In The Zone - How  To Create A
State Of Mind That Eliminates The Fear, Stress And Anxiety From Your
Trading."
---------------
Hello Mark:

My question has to do with getting back into trading.  I started trading
full-time about 7 months ago. The first few months was fast and  furious.  I
was right and wrong around 50% each, I had no system other then  intuition,
other people's assertions and the term money management meant  nothing to
me. Well, eventually I overextended myself (short on the Yen in  January
when it was temporarily recovering) and refused to follow my own rules  re:
cutting losses.  Call it stubborness which graduated into stupidity.
Anyway, for the past 4 months I been trading very little, but watching,
learning indicators, building my own system based on price, breakouts,
pattern recognition, Support/Resistance and overbought/oversold indicators.
I no longer use other people's advice to trade on.  Anyway my problem is
that I've only traded about 1/week for a couple of months now and fear is
the main driver.  I'm cutting my trades way to short just to insure a small
profit,(7 good out of 11) thus losing many opportunities.  I'm  not losing
money but neither am I making money.  Anyway, I'm feeling frozen.  But I
also recognize that impatience is one of my weaknesses.

Any advice to get me back in the saddle?

Joe Zelwietro

Dear Joe,

Your initial trading experiences are very typical. What's nice  about what
happened is, now you have a direct experience of what's  possible. Meaning
you have to learn how to get back to that "care free" state  mind that you
experienced in the beginning, but there will be one big  difference. You
will also have to build a framework of positive restraint.  In other  words,
it will be difficult to get back to that "care-free" state of mind  until
you trust yourself (absolutely) to always act in your own best interests,
without internal conflict or hesitation.

As you already recognize, you are frozen because you're afraid,  and you're
afraid because you don't trust yourself. So now the question is  how are you
going to go about learning how to trust yourself. I have a couple of
suggestions. One, start placing more emphasis on the steps to success as
opposed to the results. When you're focused on the money (the  bottom line)
it is very difficult to stay positively focused on all of the  incremental
steps that result in a satisfactory bottom line. In this  respect, trading
isn't much different than learning how to play a sport. If you  were going
to learn to play tennis or golf, you would have to break the  movements down
to the smallest incremental steps and focus on mastering each of  those
steps. Two, trade at a level where the financial consequences of your
actions have little, if any, consequence on your equity. There are mini
contracts available in several markets. You might feel some resistance to
trading mini's because there will be times when a winning trade may not
cover your commissions. However, if you are genuinely committed to the
learning process, then spending the money to educate yourself in this
manner, will also be of little or no consequence.
------------
(from Todd)

my psych hang up is that I wait for turns, if I miss it instead of jumping
in like I am supposed to , I wait for the next turn.   I know you are not
supposed to catch tops and bottoms yet I still keep doing it.  How do I stop
?

Todd,

There are as many different ways to trade as there are traders.  If you like
to wait for turns in the market, in other words, buy support and sell
resistance, this is as valid of a way of trading as any other.  If the way
you define support/resistance is your edge, then your statement  that you're
not supposed to catch tops or bottoms doesn't make any sense to  me. Sorry,
I couldn't be of more assistance.
------------
Mark,

For years prior to August of 1997 I attempted to let profits  run and was  a
steady loser.  When I started targeting profits I have made money
consistently since then BUT no longer have any big winning trades.  How can
I mentally toughen up enough to maintain a winning ratio of 67% but at the
same time allow enough leeway for some of my relatively small winners to
become big winners? Or am I expecting too much too soon(since last August
there were three full months that I did no trading so I'm really only
talking about 8 trading months with the account up 10+% on 48 trades).

Pete

Pete,

The part of your question that I find somewhat troubling is  asking how you
mentally toughen up to maintain a winning ratio of 67%. If you read my
second book "Trading The Zone - How To Create a State of Mind That
Eliminates the Fear, Stress and Anxiety From Your Trading, "  you will find
that winning as a trader has nothing to do with mental  toughness. Learning
how to create and maintain a care-free state of mind where you  are always
making yourself available to take advantage of what the market  has to offer
from it's perspective will enable you to maximum your profit potential.
Setting and trying to adhere to an arbitrary profit potential  of 67% has
the potential of diminishing your objectivity, as well as, cause  you to
make a whole host of trading errors.
-----------
Mark - The biggest problem I have right now is "pulling the trigger." I will
do the analysis. I will go here or another forum and tell everyone to buy or
sell at a level. I get kudo cause I was "right on." But, I never make the
trade. Just yesterday I made the following recs:

1) Buy bonds in the 122-20/26 zone for a big rally. Shud not go below
122-20.

2) Late in the day, sell stocks on sep spooz in 1146/47 area.

3) Also identified buying opportunity for USD at DEM 1.7950.

If I had taken those day trades, I'd be able to take a week or two off. HOW
DO I LEARN TO PULL THE TRIGGER! I have been an analyst my whole life and am
starting to trade.

Steve Poser

Steve,

You will learn to pull the trigger when you stop focusing on being an
analyst and start focusing on what you need to do to be a  trader. These are
two very different functions. Analysis certainly supports trading, but
because you have learned how identify patterns in the markets  behavior that
tell you when or where to buy or sell does not, in any way mean  that you
are a trader. Traders EMBRACE the  responsibility and risk of
trading.Everyone else, to one degree or another, uses their ability to
analyze  the market to avoid the responsibility and avoid the risk of
trading. There's a Hugh difference in perspective here that make a
correspondingly Hugh  difference in ones bottom line results.

Analysis is not the road to success as a trader, learning how  to think and
act like a trader is the road to success. Once you have learned the
appropriate mental skills, then and only then will all of your hard won
analytical abilities come to bare on your over-all trading success.
---------
PART II COMING SOON!!

Eddie Kwong