Re: Rollover

Essan Soobratty wrote:

> Close out existing position and open new position in next liquid contract.
> You will have to instruct your desk to do this.  Do not worry so much about
> commissions - They are a function of doing business.
>
> De Vries, Trevor wrote:
>
> > R'Ters
> >
> > Can someone please explain to me how you 'rollover' your futures contract:
> >
> > ie. I am long Sugar which for example expires in 3 days.
> > Do i have to close this out and then buy the next months contract, thereby
> > incurring the additional commisions ? or is there another way.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Trevor De Vries
In most cases the rollover, in my opinion, should be enetered as a
spread. The spread brokers are set up and ready for this and, my
experience has been that you get better fills (however they may look a
bit out of line if you look at the prices individualy). Also MANY (not
all) brokers offer a better commission rate for a spread trade.

George Moldenhauer