Re: Gen:Fuel Cells

Interesting point about fuel cells.  However I need to point out that from an automotive perpective it would certainly be a long term proposition.

For those not familiar with the technology, fuel cells generate power by recombining oxygen and hydrogen.  The only by-product is pure H2O.  Make no bones about it, they will become standard equipment on every new automobile probably within the next 10 - 15 years.  Just so you know, my real job is a strategic planner at General Motors' advertising agency, and I have just completeted a project on GM's environmentalism.

The problem with all of these technologies is bringing them into a reasonable price range.  The startup costs are truly astronomical.  To date, one fuel cell powered car has been produced by the University of (?).  And the New York Times reported earlier this week that an experimental  house was being run by a fuel cell in Latham NY.

Commercially viable products, however, are a ways off.  GM has stated publicly (I'm not revealing any secrets) that it will have a working prototype by 2004.  The only other real contender at the moment in this race is Toyota.  And even then, were talking about a product that if you wanted to buy it as a consumer would probably cost an arm and a leg.  To get the technology to a point where the average guy will be able to buy a fuel cell vehicle for $20,000 at the local Chevy dealership is years away.

But then again, Buffet was always in it for the long haul.

>>> "maposnak" <maposnak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 06/18 2:49 PM >>>
Below is a quote from a trade journal. I wonder if it relates to Warren Buffet's alleged position in Silver?
Anyone up on info regarding use of Silver in fuel cells or other technologies?
Silver is the best conductor. It even has a lower resistence than gold. Gold doesn't tarnish so is used for plating electrical terminations.
When I see big men (Saros and Buffet) move into Silver and the Gov't tells me that inflation is dead forever and the Money supply grows by 9% well ...

"A fuel cell, which acts like a battery is made of two electrodes and an electrolyte and produces electrical energy through electrochemical process instead of internal combustion... The electrolyte can be either  a liquid solution or a solid that conducts electricity."