Re: Just full of questions I am, aka... "Do I leave it ON?"

  • To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Just full of questions I am, aka... "Do I leave it ON?"
  • From: traderguy@xxxxxxx (JMB)
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 23:33:37 -0700

On Sat, 13 Jun 1998 19:33:33 -0500, you wrote:

>I run my computer and BMI box on all the time day and night and both seems
>to get pretty warm. If your not night trading and don't care about
>gathering data after session 1 is it better to cut both Computer and BMI
>box off at night are does it matter?
>
>Robert

Robert believe it or not, it is actually better for your computer to
continue to run 24-hours-a-day!  And YES, the components will last
longer and give you less problems!  (these are my own experiences and
observations from about 2 dozen computers over the past 17 years!)

Now, this is assuming that all components are properly cooled!

Myself... I currently have an old P-120, with everything, that I've
had running for 3+ years, with only the occasional flip of the power
switch to the OFF position!  Mostly simply to swap components or
extended vacations!

The same goes for my 1 year old 233 K-6!

However, you DO want to turn off your Omega server every now & then to
re-boot, simply to clear out your swap file in Win95 anyway, don't
know about NT!  Personally, mine gets over 100mb sometimes by the end
of the week, and I don't know of a better way to reduce that file
size... YET!

As far as your BMI box, I would venture an educated guess that it is
designed for 100% usage... I don't believe it has any movable parts?

Hope that helps you!

PS. don't forget the surge protector or better yet a UPS!

Have a good day & happy trading
JMB
TraderGuy@xxxxxxx