RE: Gen: Is trading gambling?

> TQuinn211@xxxxxxx
> Sent: Saturday, June 06, 1998 11:02 AM

> IMHO Trading is a profession that requires skill, along with
> risk taking.

Yes.

> The act of trading can be turned into an act of gambling,

Why cannot the act of trading already be an act of gambling?

> but many other
> constructive human endeavors can be made to be destructive
> under certain sets of circumstances.

Why must gambling be a destructive human endeavor?  I know many people
who do neither themselves nor their future any appreciable harm by
gambling in the stereotypical sense.  I know of others who gamble as a
profession.  IMHO Gambling is a profession that requires skill, along
with risk taking.

> If one believes trading is gambling than maybe the best thing
> he/she can do is refrain from participation in the profession.

I could not disagree more.  Managing money, cutting losses short,
letting wins ride, not fearing their losses or taking them personally,
not letting losses or wins alter the basic plan, knowing when to stop
and take a break; these are all excellent attributes of the good gambler
that could be very well suited to the trader.  Maybe someday, someone
will create trading truisms using these traits...

;-)

Sticks
--
Troutman, Defender of Sticks                      troutman@xxxxxxxxxxxx