RE: Gen: Is trading gambling?

Walt,

I enjoyed your description of "good business", "providing value", and "win/win" objectives.  However, in the end, business really is much like the stock market, with some of what Jerry Rehert called a backwind -- or perhaps a headwind depending upon whether a market is expanding or contracting.  Let me explain.

Say you and I make widgets -- we are in competition with each other.  The market for widgets is not infinite, it's estimated to be a $100M market this year.  Yes it could grow some, or it could contract some.  The point is that there's only so much market for widgets and we're competing for it.  If I am successful at capturing market share, you loose.  If I capture enough, you have to close factories and people who work for you loose their jobs.  The attributes of good business practices, providing value to customers, and creating win/win scenarios with others are tools that I may use to capture market share -- or >perhaps< in the widgets market those attributes are of little consequence.

By the end of the year my market share will have increased or decreased, and your market share will have increased or decreased.  And for the most part one will come at the expense of the other.  In years when the widget market is expanding the looser will be somewhat buffered, and in years when the widget market is contracting the looser's bad fortunes are compounded.

There was a series of articles in one of the business periodicals some time ago about companies who were considered "best in class" in business practices and providing value in the 80's.  Many of them lost significant market share over time because ultimately their markets did not value those attributes as much as innovation.  In those industries, the companies who came out ahead were those capable of investing in R&D -- probably at the expense of some "best in class" attributes.

This is why I believe the "good guy" approach to business has to be kept in context.  To the degree that being a "good guy" lets me take market share from you it's useful.  If our particular market doesn't care about "good guys", then it's of little value.

BTW -- I prefer to do business with local companies who behave in the manor you describe.  A good example is small computer shops.  They provide more value and are better community citizens than the big computer warehouses.  Unfortunately, most of them have lost market share, and many have gone out of business, to the benefit of the big warehouses.

Take care, Dave
zdave@xxxxxxxxx