How is the VIX calculated

Can anyone point me to a source for how the VIX is calculated by the
exchange?  I'm not talking the Modified VIX here, I want to know the rules
for the actual VIX.  I know it's an average of IV for 8 puts and calls, but
I want to know how they adjust it for expiration date.

It seems to me that if the VIX (and indicators derived from it)is useful for
trading the stock market, it may also be helpful for other markets - wheat,
bonds, yen, etc.  So I'm exploring what will be involved in writing a
program to track the "VIX" for all the markets I trade.

Thanks,

  David Rosenthal
  davidr@xxxxxxxxxx