Re: Gen: The problem with the subject of systems.

Scott and group,

> Do you trade to avoid boredom or to make money?

Well, I intend to make money but trading can go from being boring to near
heart attack. I personally could not keep my cool day trading the S&P 500
the one time I tried it. It cost me about $2000 to find that out.

> Mechanical systematic trading is the dominant, not only, but dominant
> methodology used by the top twenty CTAs based on compounded yearly return
> over the past ten years.  To refuse to acknowledge that as a legitimate
> trading style is a bit close minded and could prove costly.  Mechanical
> systematic trading leaves the trader with fewer decisions to make which
> allows him/her less daily stress and less influence from outside
pressures,
> leading to a longer trading career.

All true, my little message was not against system trading, rather it is
partially against the subject of system trading as I perceive it. If Dennis
Simmons were to post his system to Real Traders I would want to have a
look, or any of the other top 20 CTAs. I suspect that I know at least
partially, how many large traders systems work. An article that M. Ruggerio
wrote a while back in Futures Magazine described how large commercial
traders trade. Since I already wrote about it once to the forum and no one
was interested I don't think I will do it again. The difficulty for me and
other traders is we need a system that will work on a smaller scale and
produce positive results SOON.

> I, too, find 95% of the material on this forum boring.  What types of
posts
> would you rather see?

But the 5% is great isn't it! I have really gotten my "moneys worth" out of
Real Traders Forum, just yesterday I asked for a little Easy Language Code
and presto I had the answer. The guys/gals are really great. I think that
there are several problems with the forum, many of us have worked to come
up with something that "works" and we don't want to say exactly what it is,
so we always have one hand hidden behind our backs. Another is that there
is so many different things to trade, I trade futures options others trade
Spoos, stocks etc. Lastly there are different levels of competency to deal
with. It just about makes me cringe when a guy/gal comes on and says
something like "I'm new to trading, I've got about $7000 to go full time
with, does anyone have any suggestions for me?" The competent ones often
don't have too much to say, and for good reason, for example if a guy says
something that you know is doomed to failure and you tell him so, you are a
SOB sending out flames, so you just smile and go on.

So what types of posts would I like to see? Revealing ones I suppose. For
me pictures are worth thousands so I appreciate the .gifs. Personally, I
would like to talk with experienced parties that trade and understand
Option Straddles. Having looked around I haven't found too much out there
about that. I don't quite have the RX for Real Traders, part of the problem
is the nature of the beast.

Rambling on,

Brent