RE: DTN vs BMI et al

  • To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: DTN vs BMI et al
  • From: "David Rosenthal" <davidr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 21:40:52 -0700

Mr. Merkley from BMI/DBC:

At the time I signed up, I was never informed that there was any other
option but a year lease.  This was over a year ago, and of course I don't
have the conversations on tape, but my clear memory is that I had no choice
but to commit to the year, if I wanted the service at all.  They sent me the
forms and I signed them.  And I honestly believed at that point I would be
daytrading indefinitely into the future, so in my mind it was OK.

It would have been reasonable to charge me some kind of penalty or
cancellation fee when I wanted to switch back to delayed.  Telling me I was
stuck paying $225/month for 8 months for the exact service you were charging
others $75/mo for, because I signed a piece of paper which was a REQUIREMENT
for me to receive the service at all, was not reasonable.  Different
companies have different value systems, some value long-term customer
relations.  BMI/DBC clearly values money in the bank now over satisfied
customers.  Some would say this is not a wise choice in the long run.

At the moment I'm not looking for quotes, so what I'll do in the future is a
moot point.  I really don't know anything about DTN, I haven't researched
them at all.  FutureSource makes a point on their web site that they DON'T
"lock you in" to yearly agreements.  I don't naively think other companies
will "let me out" of signed agreements, and I certainly learned a lesson
here.  I just choose to give my business, when possible, to companies that
show some modicum of a customer-service ethic.

   David Rosenthal