Re: An idea to beat the tax man

In a message dated 98-05-29 16:46:55 EDT, rraff@xxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Subj:	 Re: An idea to beat the tax man
 Date:	98-05-29 16:46:55 EDT
 From:	rraff@xxxxxxxxx (Raymond Raffurty)

 clarkmj wrote:

 > I was just sitting here doing some work on my IRA and an idea hit me on
 > how to beat the tax man.  Please send any comments to me. The idea being
 > to use all your accounts to generate as much tax free income into your
 > IRA as possible. Assume $500,000 trading capitalCurrent IRA $5000 Here is
 > the plan.1.  Form a corporation and issue 500000 $1 non dividend paying
 > share to yourself.  Stipulate in the articles of incorporation that as
 > CEO, your room, board, car and other expenses will be pick-up by the
 > corporation. 2.  Declare that the corporation will sell 5000 dividend
 > paying shares. 3.  Sell the 5000 shares to your IRA. 4.  Do business as
 > usual.  Easier to deduct expenses.  Pay yourself rent, etc... 5.  At the
 > end of the trading year total up the net revenue and issue a dividend to
 > reduce revenue to zero.  If I understand corporate law correctly, you
 > would only owe corporate income tax on any income which whould net out to
 > be zero because of the dividend, therefore no tax. 6.  Your IRA then
 > grows based on your ROR on $505,000 vs. $5000 Any idea on why this will
 > or will not work. ThanksMike Clark
 >
 >  Hi Mike,
 >
 >              A far better way to handle this would be to establish the
 > corporation as described.  Then set up a legal 401k plan with generous
 > bennifits to you.  As you may know, you can contribute more to a 401k
 > than an IRA, also your "corporation" can contribute matching funds, all
 > tax free.  You could use these funds to diversify your portfolio.
 >
 > Good luck and good trading,
  > Ray Raffurty

YOUR TAX ADVISER WILL PROBABLY TELL YOU THAT A CORPORATE QUALIFIED PENSION
PLAN CALLED "DEFINED BENEFIT PLAN" MAY GIVE YOUR CORPORATION MORE TAX
DEDUCTIONS THAN A 401(K) PLAN UNDER NORMAL SITUATIONS.  THE AMOUNT CONTRIBUTED
BY YOUR CORPORATION INTO YOUR Q PENSION PLAN ALSO ACCUMULATES INCOME GENERATED
THERE TAX-DEFERRED.

SINCERELY,
WILLIAM W