Question on NMP TASC article

Hi, Walt:

In your article in June 98 TASC you define three market phases:  expansion,
contraction, and transition.  You also define a paintbar study showing
expansion as red and contraction in blue.

Figures 15 and 16 on p.57 show two charts with FOUR paintbar colors - in
addition to the red and blue, there are purple and yellow, plus some yellow
rectangles!  Nowhere in the article do I find an explanation of the new
colors.  It appears that purple and red are contraction and expansion within
the rectangles, and blue and yellow are contraction and expansion outside
the rectangles.  But it's not clear to me what condition you're using to
define the rectangles themselves.

Inquiring minds want to know...

Regards,

   David Rosenthal