How does a limit order REALLY work.

I seem to be seeing a misconception out there in the RT community about how
a limit order really works and what its value is. This misconception is
this: the public trader is getting the benefit of the bid/ask spread by
using a limit order. NOT. That would only happen if the order is executed
opposite another broker executing another customer order, not opposite a
local. It happens, but not really very often. What is really happening is
that the market bid/ask has moved such that your bid is now at the offer.
That is not the same thing as getting any edge that locals have.

Also, often, practically by definition, a limit order is filled at the very
moment that market momentum is going against the trader. Think about it. Is
that what you really want?