Re:

It has been my experience that divergence signals are not as reliable in
strongly trending markets like the one the S&P has been in.  To tell whether
a market is trending or not, look at the ADX.  If it is above 30, you are in
a trending market and should be wary of trading against the trend.

Bill Bancroft