Re: amateurs, professionals, mutual funds

At 09:28 AM 3/14/98 -0600, diamond wrote:
>If we assume that most amateurs are trading securities, what price range do
>95% of them tread in? In 100 share lots, what can most amateurs afford?
>
>$1 to $5?
>$1 to $10?
>$5 to $10?
>$1 to $20?
>$10 to $20
>higher?
>
>I am curious about the above, because it might tell me (us) who we are
>playing against; amateurs, professionals, mutual funds.
>
>Does anyone have a breakdown on paper, or even a guess?
>
>Zane Kori

Zane,
This is just a guess, based on hearing many self-confessed amateurs
talk about their trading.  I would say from $1 to $20, but not often
above $10.  When someone recommends a $19 stock, or $40, or $99,
they cringe and call it too expensive (regardless of the PE).  But
talk about one of their local $5 stocks and they can get quite
excited.  Then they rush to their broker and tell him "give me a
buck's worth of XXXX.

Pete
petena9090@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx