Trading: What % of a gap down is considered a discount to attract buyers?

I am wondering if anyone can share some experience with entering the
market when the market opens up much lower trading at a discount? I have
not been trading that long so I will explain a bit more. When we had our
mini crash in October I had been short for a couple days prior to our
big down day. The day of the mini crash the stock opened up about 18%
lower and the price after the open continued to move over several days.
(As many stocks did following our mini crash in October.)

After hearing that Intel has traded down 14 pts. after the close I feel
that tomorrow, Thursday, might present another situation where some
stocks will open lower at a discount to attract buyers.

So the question is what constitutes a discount in share price to which
buyers will enter the market because they feel the price is cheap? For
example I looked at a few stocks (during our October mini crash) and
they traded down about 17% or opened at a discount of about 17% and then
traded higher.

Harley