Re: REALTRADERS digest 690

  • To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: REALTRADERS digest 690
  • From: David Michael Newman <newmanda@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 07:20:41 -0800 (PST)

>Unless you observe that volatility on Mondays is the equivalent of three
>non-Monday trading days' volatility, how can it be right to adjust time
>value by three days over the weekend?

A) Mondays ARE in fact more volatile than other days due to the weekend
effect, so just counting trading days will misprice the option. However
the Sat. to Mon. period is consistently less volatile then three
consecutive weekdays so a calendar day model doesn't cut it either. You
can find some middle ground but that starts getting complicated.

B) If most of the floor is using calendar days, it doesn't matter if
they're right, you've got to go with the (order) flow!