Re: GEN - Looking for mentors reply

In a message dated 98-01-15 03:03:47 EST, GGray1155@xxxxxxx writes:

<< In a message dated 98-01-14 01:00:54 EST, you write:

 << Gary:
  Sorry but I disagree with you and I hope I will never be that way.  Nor do I
  feel that it is a requirement to be a good trader.
  Lynn >>

 Gary's reply below:
 <<<It has nothing to do with being a good trader...  You can be an awesome
 trader. That doesn't mean your bottom line will be acceptable. This can get
 very convoluted.  Karma and all that sort of stuff.
 <snip>
 ie.,  George Soros, et al  are major league philanthropists. It is what I
call
 the Robin Hood syndrome. If you have an intention to give a great deal of
what
 you make from "speculative activities", you will likely increase your net
 take.
 Prove it...   Make a written commitment to give x% of your next trade to
 something >>>
Gary:
These philosophies appear to be opposing each other.  First, you see someone
accidentally lose money or drop his wallet and yet you have no conscience
about keeping the wallet and not returning it to the owner.  Then, you believe
that by giving to others, it will be returned to you.

One goal of trading is consistency and it appears this is something you should
strive for in your views of the universe.  On the one hand, you believe "take
what you can" and disregard others while on the other hand, "give and it will
come back to you".  As you say it is the Robin Hood syndrome so I guess it is
OK to rob from the rich as long as you give to the poor.  One problem: you did
not give to the poor, you kept the wallet and the money in it.

The world tends to admire a tough minded individual in business but a criminal
is usually exposed and thrown in prison.  I do support your idea of give and
it will be returned to you BUT it is very hard to prove in business or in the
real world.
Lynn