Newbie question on SP500

I am a newbie and have questions for any SP daytraders out there:

I was looking back at EOD SP charts for a year and it seemed to me that
while volume remains (relatively) at the same levels now as they did then,
the average spread between the daily high and low has increased. Of course,
this makes sense as the price level os the SP500 has gone up. But it would
also suggest there is more room for trading on an intraday basis. If so, I
was curious if their is a way to track and chart magnitude movements as a
proportion of the overall SP level on a daily basis. Also, are there more
several magnitude clusters for any given day.

If this is stupid or too simple, I apologize. It's just that I have never
read anything about analyzing price magnitudes, only volume.

PS: Anyone know where I can get historical tick by tick data.