GEN:Broker/market maker

I just want to double check this, before I open an account.

Today I talked with a sales rep. from Wall ST. Access brokerage.  He
told me the difference between Wall St. Access and a deep discount
broker was, that they are not tied to one market maker.  He said they
use any market maker  out there to get me a better fill. Which is one of
the main reasons why a deep discount broker can charge so little.

Is this true? About a deep discount broker only using one market maker?

Thanks,
Joe Frabosilio