Re: Cash

Darrell Zang wrote:

> Here's a couple of questions for the group......
>
> 1)    Is any trading done on the cash basis for any of the
> commodities?

Yes, I am sure you have heard of "spot gold" and bonds and such.  If
there isn't a cash market, there isn't a futures market.

> 2)    What is the standard symbol for cash ( counterpart for
> monthly symbols )?

There isn't one.  Cash commods don't trade on an exchange like futures
so there isn't a central clearinghouse for information.  Cash quotes are
generally gotten by doing "call arounds" to cash dealers to get current
prices.

> 3)    Does the Globex trade 24hrs. a day, or just those hrs.
> outside of the American markets?

Not all products are the same hours, but basically they start shortly
after open outcry closes and end shortly before it opens. (not the
mini).  Check www.cme.com for specifics.

> 4)    If 24hrs., how are the two markets reconciled?

None are 24 full hours.  There is a specified cut off time that
separates one "day" from the next"  But as the markets trade longer
hours the idea of opening and closing prices does get blurred a bit.
Different data vendors report opens differently, check with yours.
Eric