Re: Intraday VS. Long Term

Thanks to Walt, Gary, Bob, Tom and others that have given statistical results
of their experience with short term systems.

I thought that I would try to give another example of my difficulty of
achieving satisfactory results with daytrading systems.  My "Buy and Hold"
example was bad.

I quickly run some stats on a daytrading system (that I purchased) that was
one of the top performers declared by several reputable sources, magazines,
users grours,etc.  I tested this system, that always exited prior to the
close, on the actual data of the last 44 S&P contracts.  Since TradeStation
has a 13,000 bar limitation I needed to copy and paste the TradeStation
results to a spreadsheet to combine all stats for the 44 contracts.
 Therefore, I must use the caveat that I may have made mistakes.

This system made 755 trades.

To demonstrate the huge negative affects that slippage and commission have on
profits I first tested the system without slippage and commission.  The
profit was $226,750.  60% wins and a win/loss ratio of 1.58.  Not bad!

After subtracting $220 for commission and slippage the system only made
$60,870.  I sure wouldn't watch the screen every minute of every trading day
for all those years for this.

I have developed day trade systems that do better than the above but I still
have problems getting the results I want for systems that always exit prior
to the close.

Walt and others have posted results that give great results for day systems.
 Again, I want to thank them.  It gives me encouragement.

Russ