Re: Victor Niederhoffer

  • To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Victor Niederhoffer
  • From: "Michael E. Strupp" <combat@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 16:59:42 -0800 (PST)

Here's something I scraped of "TheStreet.com" on the subject:

                         Fund Watch Features: Hot Copy: Straight
                         From The Fax Machine, Niederhoffer Tells
                         Customers The Bad News

                         By
                         10/29/97 6:13 PM ET

                         The following unsigned letter was faxed to
clients of Victor
                         Niederhoffer on Wednesday, October 29, 1997
after 5:00 p.m.
                         EDT:

                         October 29, 1997

                         To:
                         Limited Partners of Niederhoffer Intermarket
Fund, L.P.
                         Limited Partners of Niederhoffer Friends
Partnership, L.P.
                         Shareholders of Niederhoffer Global Systems,
S.A.

                         Dear Customers:

                         As you no doubt are aware, the New York stock
market dropped
                         precipitously on Monday, October 27, 1997. That
drop followed
                         large declines on two previous days. This
precipitous decline
                         caused substantial losses in the fund's
positions, particularly
                         their positions in puts on the Standard &
Poor's 500 Index. As
                         you also know from my previous correspondence
with you, the
                         funds suffered substantial losses earlier in
the year as a result
                         of the collapse in the East Asian markets,
especially in
                         Thailand.

                         The cumulation [sic] of these adverse
developments led to the
                         situation where, at the close of business on
Monday, the funds
                         were unable to meet minimum capital
requirements for the
                         maintenance of their margin accounts. It is not
yet clear what 			 is
                         the precise extent (if any) to which the funds'
equity balances 			  are
                         negative. We have been working with our
broker-dealers since
                         Monday evening to try to meet the funds'
obligations in an
                         orderly fashion. However, right now the
indications are that 			 the entire equity positions in the funds has
been wiped out.

                         Sadly, it would appear that if it had been
possible to delay
                         liquidated most of the funds' accounts for one
more day, a
                         liquidation could have been avoided.
Nevertheless, we cannot
                         deal with "would have been." We took risks. We
were
                         successful for a long time. This time we did
not succeed, and I
                         regret to say that all of us have suffered some
very large 				 losses.

                         © 1997 TheStreet.com, All Rights Reserved.