GEN: boats and technology

Patrick Slevin wrote:
> Insofar as I am allowed to have the last word on this.....I will say this...

Numerous years ago, before I was a trader...we developed a gimballing system that
allowed an M-1 tank to maintain the direction of the gun no matter what the terrain.

Beacause a few years earlier than that, I worked on GPSS as an engineer for what was
then the Sperry corporation.....and today one can carry a hand-held GPS device for a
nominal fee, it seemed logical that such a system for targeting a satellite in
geosynchronous orbit may be possible for a commercial user.

The Kearfott Division of the Singer Corporation developed a system for Explorer to
photograph Jupiter through a (now) outdated method of "locking on" from a moving point.
This syste was developed in the '70s.

My point for all of the foregoing is this. Just because traders are not famililar with
it....just because BMI does not have a client base that can afford it or needs it, does
not mean it does not exist.

Personally, I believe dismissing it out of hand is not informative....but I agree in one
facet.

Most of us will never need to know.

--Patrick J. Slevin