MKT: Sentiment - turn towards the bears

Below are the results of our weekly "Guess the Dow" sentiment survey.
The survey was taken from 10/6 thru 10/12 on our web site. If you
would like to participate in this weeks survey/contest, stop by
<http://www.lowrisk.com/guess.htm> .

Number of participants: 338

30 day outlook:

44% bullish,  63% last week
42% bearish,  16% last week
14% neutral,  14% last week

(percentages may not sum to 100 due to rounding)

Average guess for the DJIA closing value on Friday, 10/17: 7993   (it
was 8055 last week). More complete sentiment data is available at
<http://www.lowrisk.com/sentiment.htm> .

This weeks sentiment numbers took a bearish turn. While the bulls
still outnumber the bears slightly, bearish sentiment surged an
amazing 26 percentage points. It is interesting to note that the
neutral camp stayed even at 14%, so the entire gain for the bears came
at the bulls expense.

The big move up in bearish sentiment is especially interesting given
that the market closed essentially flat for the week. The DJIA was up
7 points for the week and the SP500 was up one point for the week.
Granted there were some early week fireworks that faded later in the
week that could have left some disappointed with the bull. But with
our sentiment results looking pretty dour after a flat week, we think
that the bulls might have a bit to cheer about this week.

This week we have a new sponsor for Guess the Dow. Winners will now
receive a complimentary quarters subscription to the RBI Trader's
Weekly.

If you would like to try this weeks "Guess the Dow" contest, stop by
our site at: <http://www.lowrisk.com/guess.htm> .

regards,
Jeff Walker
jwalker@xxxxxxxxxxx