Gen: Stubbornness Or Ignorance?

September 14, 1997

Hello RT,

Let me start by saying I enjoy RT very much. I live in Pakistan where there is little or no information available to traders / investor here and forums like RT go a long way in educating them. But, and this is a big but, I am quite annoyed by people on RT who sometimes make it difficult for me to keep a smile while reading RT list. A few weeks ago some gentleman posted a mail about people who use the reply feature in their e-mail software without any thought of the problems it causes.
I subscribe RT in the digest form and more often than not it is more than 150Kb. Most of it, is because someone wrote something, then someone replied and the someone just hit the reply button and added "I agree". And the post becomes a mile long. If you think that there is an important part of the original mail that should be included in your reply, why can't you just cut and past that part? This feature is available in every e-mail software. Alternatively, you can also configure the software so it won't copy the original post when you hit reply.
But I guess most people just ignored that advice and they are still doing it the way they like. Why can't people just post "Thank you" and "I agree with you" remarks directly to the author of the post? This forum should be about sharing ideas, experiences, advice -- NOT long posts with no useful contents at all. It will also save some download time.
Think about it -- I'll not be surprised to see copies of this mail with "I agree" notes at the end :-(

Sincerely,

Mubashir Nabi
Managing Director
Financial Intermarket Research & Management.