Re: Upgrade Computer

At 11:46 AM 9/11/97 +0000, Stefano Sbrighi wrote:
>Hallo I want upgrade my computer I think to buy one pentium II
>machine I have indecision for hard disk SCSI Ultra wide or Eide ,
>I actually have disk Eide I want know if disk SCSI is better for
>work with Tradestation.
>Another question is for the operating system, I actually have Windows
>95 and I think to install Windows NT in the new computer for the use
>in Tradestation Win NT work fine
>
>Sbrighi Stefano
>sbrighi@xxxxxxxxxxx
>Italy

I am a professional software developer. We develop and test our software on
both Windows 95 and Windows NT 4. I have also tested the BMI datafeed using
both Windows 95 and Windows NT 4. We also use a variety of systems with
both SCSI and EIDE.

There is really no comparison regarding stability. Windows NT 4 is far
superior. The BMI datafeed would crash twice a day under Windows 95. You
probably need more memory with Windows NT (min 32mb instead of 16mb,
ideally 64mb). You also need to be more computer savvy to install and
maintain NT, but you don't need to be a software developer.  There are
plenty of books. Driver support is more limited for NT, so make sure your
peripherals are supported. The most common ones are. There is no real
difference between NT Workstation and Server (unless you actually want
Server services), so probably get NT Workstation.

For intensive disk tasks, SCSI is far faster. But I'm talking about
compiling million line applications. It probably doesn't matter for just
recording or analyzing data. (I did fine with BMI and an IDE disk).

A final note - setting up an Internet service provider may require you to
write a script for Dial-up Networking under NT. When I last tried to
install Microsoft's own MSN from their CD, it didn't work under NT. There's
a shareware product called RoboDUN, which might help (DUN stands for Dial
Up Networking). I use Sprynet for my ISP at home, and I couldn't use their
standard installation diskettes. I had to write my own script.

Lawrence E. Lewis
Vice President, Chief Technology Officer, Chronology Corporation
EMAIL:lel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx TEL:425-869-4227 x122