Re: Futures business as a write-off

Steve Schnake wrote:

> Dan,
> I trade from a home office.
> You can deduct just about all expenses incurred in your attempt to
> trade
> the markets,( as long as they are tools to help you trade), including
> data
> provider exp, mag. subscriptions(must be relevant), educational
> materials,
> trading software, portion of home expenses(for home office; ask your
> tax
> preparer). You can deduct your computer and maintenance expense,
> internet
> access, if they are used soley for trading(i.e. to gain the knowlege
> that
> influences trading decisions. I mark and itemize all related
> phone/fax/download communications with a highlighter and total and
> file
> them monthly.
> Anything else, people?
>
> Steve
> ----------
> > From: Daniel O'Moran <moran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject: GEN: Futures business as a write-off
> > Date: Monday, July 28, 1997 6:45 AM
> >
> > Hi folks.
> > I'm a new trader. Hope that I can survive (and prosper in)  the
> markets
> > long enough to do as well as you people. Does anyone have advice on
> the
> tax
> > implications of being a trader; can I write of my cost for
> end-of-day
> data?
> > How about books/courses on trading? Any insight you could provide
> would
> be
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> > ::Daniel O Moran

                        A good reference book on the subject is by TED
TESSER, titled, "the Serious Investor's
                        TAX SURVIVAL GUIDE" from Traders Library,1993;
re: Chapter thirteen, The
                        Business of Trading.
somewhat for those of us serious
                        (or crazy) enough to want to trade for our
living.
                        You'll have to look around for qualified
accountants and tax advisors who are knowledgable
                        about the trading game.  Many are Not.
                        Aloha, Wayne                  P.S.   and Dan,
good suggestion; I'm a home office trader also.

Cheers. (^o^)