Re: Portable alert system a la Quotrek, Telemet etc.

  • To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Portable alert system a la Quotrek, Telemet etc.
  • From: JOHN PIERCE <jpierce1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 17:04:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Realtraders:

I was just told by Telemet that they are discontinuing service on their
fm sideband data service for 15-min delayed data service in the San
Diego area.  It was a good deal for the money ($33/mo, all markets) but
is now gone.  I need to replace it with something economical.

Here is how I use it.  I trade futures options, often selling spreads,
and need to know where the futures market is in case I need to adjust my
position, or bail.  I run a business and can't be on my computer in the
market all day long.  With the Telemet unit I could set a limit alarm on
any future or option price (only really worked with futures, as options
did not update nearly frequently enough) and get an audible signal that
I need to look things over (eg call my broker for a quote, dial in to
the web, whatever...)   I really only need that alert that I can set for
futures prices, above or below the current price.  Of course, I also
need to know what market passed a limit.  Telemet did not even tell me
which way the market was trading till I punched in for a quote.  But it
would be nice to know at once where the market is heading.

Do any of you know of a substitute for this "price penetration alert"
function?  There are a couple of services for stock traders that use
alpha pagers.  This would work, but I have not found one yet that does
futures...  QuoTrek is far too expensive.  I don't really need realtime
day that much.  If you have any ideas, I would really appreciate some
referrals.  I know Trade Station has a page alert software module.  I
have the WSA package from Omega, which I love, but don't need the full
Tradestation package.  I'd never use the system testing capability that
makes it so expensive.  But if I could get that pager alert module some
other way....ahhh, maybe here is an avenue...

You can email me directly or through the list:  I'm at
jpierce1@xxxxxxxxxxxx  Again, thanks for any ideas you may have...

Happy Trading!
John